Monday, August 07, 2017

a peek inside my art journal- black and white pages


One of the best things I've done for my creative process is to take time to limit myself. Sometimes it's color, sometimes it's supplies and techniques and sometimes it's my time. I've learned through this process that taking time to challenge myself and even get uncomfortable, forces me to really dig deep. When I don't use color, I suddenly have to think differently about how I will create composition, add contrast or shading. When I limit my supplies or techniques, I get really innovative and make all kinds of discoveries about simple things. When I limit my time, I have fewer opportunities to over think and over work a surface. While I don't limit myself all the time, I've found that a project, a surface or a day in the studio where I focus on simplicity has been #1 way that I've grown as an artist and creative thinker!
My favorite way to limit myself is to only use black and white (instead of a million different colors). While I am obsessed with color, I've found that only using black and white has helped me have a better understanding of contrast, shading, pattern, filling space and overall composition. I pick 2-3 different supplies- typically paint, ink and pens and see how many different things I can do with those things!



5 comments:

stefanie stark said...

Wonderful!!!! It is always such a pleasure to come here. This morning, while having my breakfast I went through your August 2016 posts and I am still fascinated of all the inspiration and ideas you have to offer. Thank you again and again!

Anne Rita Taylor said...

Looks like fun using only black & white - thanks for posting all your pages! I will definitely try it too!

Mia Bloom Designs said...

I love your black and white art journal pages! I find myself occasionally only using black and white for the same reasons as you. Thank you for sharing and inspiring!

Gumbo Lily said...

You always, always inspire! Love B&W for so many reasons. I like your thoughts about limiting yourself to time, supplies, colors.

Unknown said...

These are just beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails