Monday, March 16, 2015

exploring we will go- elowah falls



A while back we made the promise to each other to always make time to seek adventure as a family (you can read about it here). Exploring new places and going outside is a big part of our daily lives and once in a while I like to share a little peek into our adventures.

Around here we tend to take our celebrations outside so when Andy asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday, hiking was a no brainer. But I wanted something magical. I also wanted to feel small- do you ever have that feeling when you just need to feel like the world is bigger and more beautiful than the silly little problems that go along with everyday life? Well, I do and nature is typically my cure. 

So we packed up the car and headed 2 hours east to the Columbia River Gorge to Elowah Falls. We have hiked to quite a few waterfalls in the gorge but this was a new one for us and being only 1 mile each way it was a perfect hike for a three year old. I am happy to report that it was AMAZING! The falls are around 280 feet and they crash into a huge amphitheater made up of several distinct lava flows and everything, I mean everything is covered in bright green moss. It was quite simply divine and something I will never forget- a perfect (and magical) way to celebrate a milestone birthday!


photo by Lucy!

You can view my series of family adventure posts HERE

12 comments:

Virginia said...

Fabulous weekend by the looks of it and love love love the photo taken by Lucy!

Unknown said...

Such a relaxing place.

SuzanneG in NC said...

Beautiful and a terrific beginning of your new year! You and your family all have given yourselves a special memory to hold. Thank you for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

Happy b-day, Alisa! Your blog always puts a smile on my face and a spark in my creativity.

patty a. said...

What a beautiful place to spend you birthday!

LynneP said...

Truly a magical place and way to spend your birthday!!! Thanks for sharing.

Jana said...

Thanks for sharing where this is---we're always looking for new places to hike in Oregon. Happy Birthday!! We celebrate all month... ;) especially monumental birthdays!

Andria said...

Beautiful photos...and Lucy shows amazing skills as a budding photographer!

studioGypsy said...

oh that is just the BEST!!! sooo happy for your magical celebration! absolutely blessed! pure.love.xoxoxo happiest birthday to you, sweets! xoxo

Brig said...

What a stunning spot!

Jo Murray said...

What a glorious place! Happy, happy birthday.

Anonymous said...

It looks exhilarating, invigorating and wonderful. What a great way to celebrate a birthday!
Sara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails